Marble in kdereview

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Wed May 9 01:18:38 BST 2007

Hi Alex,

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 19:19:53 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> Just a couple of questions (apologies if you've already answered them -
> the acronyms are confusing):
> * are there plans to have (the ability to get) better resolution "fill"
> at higher zooms?

Yes. Partially (in terms of textures) that's what the "Automatic tile
downloading (which is close to be done)" part of the TODO was about.

Don't expect wonders though - you won't be able to spot your house any time
soon. However as you might have noticed that's not Marble's ultimate goal :-)
See the FAQ in the docs for more info.

> * are there plans to have (the ability to get) more detailed info about
> smaller towns/villages etc?

Yes. You might have noticed that there is very basic Wikipedia support there
already. In the future there are plans to create a "Marble Almanach" which
will contain a small database of offline data (Probably based on the Qt4
based Wikipedia Offline Reader).

> I also notice that there's no "short descriptions" given for (most?
> any?) of the towns/cities.

Try Mountains and the Poles ;-) Seriously, I'll try to find a better solution
for those boxes in case they are empty.

> And the tabs on the left have no labels -
> it was a while before I noticed the button at the bottom, and I had no
> idea what to expect when I clicked it.

Will be fixed with my next commit in a few minutes.

> I can imagine this would be a very cool way to select "where I am" when
> setting up KDE, for things like timezone stuff.

That's indeed the plan. See my blogs about Marble at

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2412

and of course the MANIFESTO document in the source tree.

I actually have some free timezone vector data available. However it will take
some time to adjust the vector backend to display it properly.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn
 Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-0

 credativ GmbH, HRB Düren 4052
 Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich
 Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz