[kde-artists] Icon naming issue

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 1 02:38:27 BST 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 11:57 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> "It is recommended that the icons installed in the hicolor theme
>> look neutral, since it is a fallback theme that will be used in
>> combination with some very different looking themes."
>>
>> My reading of this is that HiColor is a fallback theme that should
>>  contain neutral ('unthemed', generic, or whatever) icons and that
>> it should be a full set of icons -- if not a full set, what will
>> there be to fall back to?
>
>> From my perspective, the whole "full theme" vs "fallback" is a
>> total red
> herring. A "full theme" is an impossibility anyway, until we get much
>  better buyin from various desktops for the the icon naming spec.

Obviously, there will always be some icons that are missing.  That is
not the way it is supposed to be, it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

> The spec simply states that hicolor will always be tried, and that it
>  will be the last.

Not to belabor the point, but it does say fallback and there is no point
in falling back to an empty directory.

M-W says:

	fallback. noun.

	1 : something on which one can fall back: RESERVE -- often used
	attributively <a fallback career> <a fallback position>

You can't fall back on an empty directory -- it accomplishes nothing.

> That means that it is a good place to install icons to, which you
> need to be available regardless which theme the user selects.

Yes, you are absolutely correct about that.  So I made the neutral,
unthemed, generic icons and installed them in HiColor.  They were
removed from SVN without even consulting me.  I was told that I could
install them in KDEClassic (which they are not) and they are not
available for fall back there.

--
JRT