KDE4 default shortcut theme

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 20:03:51 BST 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007 14:29, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> >In my KDE version (3.5.6) Alt only functions as a normal modifier
> > key, and I object to reimplement a broken feature that was removed
> > some time ago from KDE.
>
> It was never removed from KDE. Pressing and releasing Alt activates
> the menu, except in KMail's Composer window.
>
> But KMail's menu handing is broken.

FWIW, KMail does not seem to be at fault here. If you select one of the
combo boxes (e.g. Identity) in the composer then Alt works. But neither
in the line edits nor in the editor widget it works.

Now for the editor widget our only fault is that we still use the KEdit
class. KJots also uses KEdit and has exactly the same problem with Alt.
So it's most likely KEdit who eats the Alt key.

As for the line edit I have not yet found the guilty widget, but it does
not seem to be our derivatives. Maybe it's KPIM::AddresseeLineEdit. Or
maybe it's even KLineEdit. If you give focus to the Location line edit
in Konqueror then Alt does not work. If you give focus to any line edit
in KAddressBook then Alt does not work. So much for Alt working in all
apps except for KMail.

The fact that Alt does not seem to work at all in composer is just due
to the usage of two broken classes from kdelibs. If it annoys you then
please fix those classes.

Regards,
Ingo (glad that at least once it's not KMail's fault)