KDE4 default shortcut theme

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat Mar 31 15:01:03 BST 2007

On so 31. března 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007 13:30, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> > [ Ellen Reitmayr, Sa., 31. Mär. 2007 ]
> >
> > > It was told earlier in this thread that Alt should work to get focus
> > > into the menu without pressing an accelerator key. It doesn;t work in
> > > all apps, but if that is fixed the hci wg is fine with Alt instead of
> > > F10 ;-)
> >
> > I disagree.
> >
> > I see serious accessibility and usability issues with this use of Alt:
> >
> > * I once lost important work because I pressed Alt without realising it
> > and key presses that should have gone into the document went into the
> > menu instead.
>
> I regret that that happened, its something I can sympathise with, for sure.
> This argument, however, doesn't really help here as the solution to your
> problem is to stop using alt for that purpose completely.  Which breaks
> with > 10 years of computer use.

 This thread is getting too big for people to follow :-/, I've already
answered this reasoning once:

 This is exactly the same like another very similar feature, which has only a
different key (Win) and a different menu (Windows Start menu/K-Menu). That
feature's gone, for good reasons, and this feature should go as well, for the
same reasons. And exactly the same should also happen to the Ctrl shortcut in
KHTML, as has been already proposed in this thread. Speaking of which, if
you're not convinced yet, I'd like to quote somebody you know: "The usability
people have long ago learned that single key shortcuts are a definite
no-no."[*]

 Switching is a change, but people can get used to that. They're more likely
to get used to something different but working than to something familiar but
broken. If pretty much everybody else already uses F10, switching doesn't
look like a big deal anyway.

[*] http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1569 - funny that I remember things like
that

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz