KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 12:52:59 BST 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007 13:30, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [ Ellen Reitmayr, Sa., 31. Mär. 2007 ]
>
> > It was told earlier in this thread that Alt should work to get focus into
> > the menu without pressing an accelerator key. It doesn;t work in all
> > apps, but if that is fixed the hci wg is fine with Alt instead of F10 ;-)
>
> I disagree.
>
> I see serious accessibility and usability issues with this use of Alt:
>
> * I once lost important work because I pressed Alt without realising it and
> key presses that should have gone into the document went into the menu
> instead.

I regret that that happened, its something I can sympathise with, for sure.
This argument, however, doesn't really help here as the solution to your
problem is to stop using alt for that purpose completely.  Which breaks
with > 10 years of computer use.  Not sure if that's a wise idea.
And if we don't stop using Alt altogether, your point stopped being an
argument for the question at hand.

> * F10 to access the menu is a standard shortcut shared by Windows, GNOME
> and cross-platform applications like OpenOffice, which means that it cannot
> be used by KDE applications anyway that are intended to work in one of
> those environments.

As stated elsewhere in this thread; we have platform shortcuts for such cases.
So if you use the workspace on Windows, then we may want to have this key as
a default.
But the rest of your argument doesn't hold.  For plain practicality.  If we
have to stop creating shortcuts in our application that are used on any and
all platforms, we are left with just about no keys free.
So we have to find another solution for that; probably by shipping a different
rc file with defaults for that application on that platform.

However we solve it, your argument can not be used as a reason for the current
discussion. Sorry.
--
Thomas Zander