KDE4 default shortcut theme

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 12:30:19 BST 2007

[ Ellen Reitmayr, Sa., 31. Mär. 2007 ]
> It was told earlier in this thread that Alt should work to get focus into
> the menu without pressing an accelerator key. It doesn;t work in all apps,
> but if that is fixed the hci wg is fine with Alt instead of F10 ;-)

I disagree.

I see serious accessibility and usability issues with this use of Alt:

* I once lost important work because I pressed Alt without realising it and
key presses that should have gone into the document went into the menu
instead.

* F10 to access the menu is a standard shortcut shared by Windows, GNOME and
cross-platform applications like OpenOffice, which means that it cannot be
used by KDE applications anyway that are intended to work in one of those
environments.

Olaf