KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 20:16:17 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 19:47, David Faure wrote:
> "all applications" is really only IE and Konqueror - and by extension via
> KStandardShortcut, all kde apps with a reload action.

We actually had a long talk about F5 in kde-usability a long time ago.
To be honest I don't think k-c-d is the proper place to decide between the
two.

Just one thing I want to make very clear to the usability people (ellen et
al); shortcuts of one modifier and one key are very very rare. There are only
26 letters in the alphabet and last I counted [1] 19 are in use by KDE
global. Meaning applications can't use them anymore.
I have seen a LOT of complaints by people stating that the keyboard shortcuts
for our major apps (ones with lots of actions, like Krita or KDevelop, even
Konq) make no sense.  And the reason is that all nice shortcuts are taken.
So; weigh your suggestions very carefully. [2]

Incidentely in the linked thread the suggestion was made to add one more, I'm
wondering how many letters of the alphabet we actually have left in KDE4 by
default now?

1) http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=115705531413814&w=2
2) http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=115704585905563&w=2
--