KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 19:51:46 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 20:15, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Your example for KWord is a good one; KWord in KOffice2 doesn't have
> > nearly as much actions on the toolbar as the older KWord did. Most of the
> > toolbuttons have been moved to one or more dockers.  And this is
> > something all KOffice apps are doing.
>
> OK, that was a question I had for the toolbars section: I think KDE4 should
> much more support dynamic support of the current context of use, e.g. when
> editing a table, extended table options should appear automatically so the
> user does not have to go to the menu.
>
> i was not sure if this should be done by toolbars or dockers. dockers allow
> the usage of more interactive widgets. but toolbars better dock into the
> application

No, toolbars have gotten quite a different role in Qt4; its very weird to use
toolbars for anything other than buttons etc.

> (at least for small panels). in the toolbars guidelines
> (http://wiki.openusability.org/guidelines/index.php/Guidelines:Tool_Bar), i
> wrote people should use dynamic toolbars, that's why i think keyboard
> access is important. i can change this suggestion to dynamic dockers if
> that is what koffice supports.

Yes, KOffice does that;
http://members.home.nl/zander/images/200702-kword-text-shape.png
and http://members.home.nl/zander/images/20070329-kwordDockers.png (excuse the
lack of proper icons; oxygen is missing a lot of stuff we need ;)
The toolbox on the left and the 'Tool Options' on the right are both
QDockWidgets. They can be moved to all edges and can be detached from the
parent window. The toolbars at the top of the window can not be detached and
(by default) you can't have more then one row of them.
I would strongly suggest you checkout qt-copy from trunk and compile it. You
can avoid the make install so your installation won't be compromised.  Try at
least the examples/mainwindow/dockwidget/ one and its many options that
programmers can set.
Its makes the point much clearer then I could ever explain in an email what
the difference is between a toolbar and dockwidget in Qt4.

--
Thomas Zander