KDE4 default shortcut theme

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 17:53:52 BST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 06:35:31PM +0200, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Thursday, 29. March 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > - win could/should have the same mappings as alt-ctrl by default - it's
> >   definitely friendlier to type when available.
>
> Which kind of defeats the proposed purpose of Win as a known
> to-be-user-defined key.

well, not directly. from the app developer's side it is known to be not
available, which is the main concern, imo. as the alt-ctrl keys would be
still bound, the win ones are really just alternatives. it would be up
to the user to decide what is his preferred namespace for personal
stuff.

> >   ctrl-esc for the k-menu,
> >   etc., i.e., often-used system keys must be easier to reach than
> >   alt-ctrl (that's why win is such a win ;).
>
> Er? Ctrl-Esc is KSysGuard right now, isn't it? K-Menu is Alt-F1.

yeah, that's my private mapping. i think i got it from windows, but in
any case it just makes sense (to me ;).
for completeness, my remaining bindings:
alt-esc - close window
alt-ctrl-esc - kill window (from kde)
shift-ctrl-esc - ksysguard (from winxp)
alt-ctrl-enter - execute app
alt-f* - switch to desktop *
shift-ctrl-f* - move window to desktop *
alt-ctrl-[shift-]<letter> - application invocation/focusing (via khotkeys)

i'm not happy with the alt-f* bindings, this is definitely something for
win-f*. unfortunately, i haven't stumbled over a 4-modifier keyboard i
liked, yet. :}