KDE4 default shortcut theme

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Thu Mar 29 16:40:52 BST 2007

On Thursday, 29. March 2007, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> We need to have consistent shortcut schemes if we want anyone to remember
> them. And there must be no exceptions for anything except the most
> standard, most common shortcuts. Applications must not fuddle around with
> Alt-*. Just finding free shortcuts doesn't cut it, we need a vision.

...and I wanted to restate that the most important outcome of this will be a
document where app developers can look up which shortcut ranges are still
free for them. The most severe annoyances come from applications that don't
respect the (currently unwritten, but essentially already there) rules for
assigning shortcuts.

If we can say "Your app uses a shortcut outside the defined ranges", such
cases can be fixed, and everyone wins. Except for the "compatibility" people,
but those are really, really supposed to have their own shortcut schemes, and
not using HIG-violating ones by default.