KDE4 default shortcut theme

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:30:50 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 13:43:44 Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2007 12:07, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Olaf and me went through the KDE system shortcuts and suggest a few
> > changes for the KDE4 default shortcuts. For one, we would like to add
> > some alternative keyboard combination for a higher consistency with other
> > systems, for the other we'd like to introduce several new shortcuts which
> > are required for full keyboard access (accessibility). The latter
> > requires changes in the libs.
>
> Heh. Shortcuts... I think it's right time to propose that
> application-defined shortcuts have a preference over KDE global shortcuts.
> You can't even imagine how painful was to find a shortcut for a feature
> in KDevelop where half of good ones is taken by Kate part and another
> half by KDE itself.
>
> Can we have that preference implemented please?

This should be already available, I think. It's called
KActionCollection::addDocCollection() [to be renamed]. addDocCollection()
might work, and it might as well not work for you. Sadly, the semantics of
shortuct operations are generally ill-defined, even in Qt(*).
For example, there is nothing in the documentation to tell you what happens if
you assign the same shortcut twice. You can actually assign a shortcut to
several actions in the same application without problems. From reading the
(Qt) code it seems that a list of matches is built every time you enter a
shortcut, and then a best match is chosen, by some not exactly trivial
algorithm. I don't remember how exactly, but of course it does respect action
contexts in a reasonable way. Who knows, this algorithm could even change
without notice, because it's not documented at all.

> Otherwise most of the shorcut changes are actually nice ;)

Definitely. Everybody have a look at the current control center module for
shortcuts, and observe a long list of shortcuts that very few people use, or
even know.

(*)Note to Trolls: From the documentation, I have *no idea* what it *means* to
associate an action with a widget. The documentation of QWidget::addAction()
sounds like "we know, but we won't tell you!".