KDE4 default shortcut theme

Alexander Dymo dymo at ukrpost.ua
Thu Mar 29 13:26:38 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 14:54, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Can we have that preference implemented please?
>
> I strongly object. This will introduce a mess. People needing shortcuts
> will use them in Krita happily (for example F6 to switch to
> image-displaying-widget) and then they start KDevelop and F6 is bound to
> Build and they have to re-learn.

I understand that. But there're not only KDE programs which users run.
We (KDevelop) can take care about non-clashing shortcuts. But will other
developers outside KDE do that? I don't think so.

In any particular case it's much easier to blame/fix an application rather
than DE.

Also we have applications that set global shortcuts (like konversation, amarok
and others do). This is the case when I'd strongly prefer local application
shorctut over global one. We can't take care about all possible combinations
of applications setting global shortcuts.
Btw, Amarok has a great solution. They use Win-... keys that are almost
guaranteed not to clash. What if we set this as a policy?