Google SoC: Improvements To KMenu

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:59:59 BST 2007

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:54 am Mike Dean wrote:
> I think this is a rather difficult project for a Google SoC project.  I
> myself have had the idea of creating an abstraction framework for a kicker
> replacement.
>
> In order to fully realize the benefits of such a redesign, however,
> utilization of IPC mechanisms would be required.

Well, I was thinking just KMenu, because as you mentioned, abstracting kicker
components is uh, a rather large project...

Ironically, one of the first things I thought of when I started thinking of
things that an abstract setup for KMenu should do was, "I'd definitely have
exposing properties/methods for IPC high on that list."

> In summary, while I think this is the direction KDE should go with Kicker,
> it seems like a bit much for a Google SoC project to tackle.  This is a
> project which could easily benefit from the creation of sub-projects to
> accomplish the various goals of the design.  This would be a true
> framework, and is therefore a larger project unto itself.  Perhaps, though,
> enough people may be interested in working on such a project that it might
> still be a viable goal to make some portion of the work your SoC project.
> Without providing the appropriate abstraction via IPC, there would be far
> fewer gains for the effort, and in fact would require considerably more
> work, as it would lead to a much larger, more complex interlocking
> framework, rather than a more loosely coupled overall framework composed of
> smaller and more manageable sub-frameworks.

Luckily, I submitted a group of projects.  My Linux professor mentioned that
this one might be a little too complicated for a SoC project, but probably,
if possible, one that should be done over a longer period of time.

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!