KDED time zone module

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Wed Mar 28 01:38:53 BST 2007

I want to implement a kded module to read system time zone information, as
was previously suggested on this list. The aim is to read the data only
once per session, rather than have each application cause it to be read
the first time it calls a KDateTime or KTimeZone method requiring it. I'm
not familiar with kded modules, so can those who are please answer a
couple of questions:

- Where/how should the kded module store the data it reads? It needs to be
accessible via KSystemTimeZone. The data is basically fixed - any changes
would be very infrequent - should it be stored in ksycoca?

- On some systems, a parsed copy of one of the system time zone files
should ideally be stored in the system-wide KDE data directory so as to
avoid having to re-parse the system file at session start. How can the
location of this directory be accessed? KStandardDirs doesn't seem to
provide this information except as one in a list of data directories,
which is ambiguous.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.