Moving guidance to extragear

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 08:37:01 GMT 2007

Hi Annma,

Thanks for testing!

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 20:00:59 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> I finally managed to build Guidance and I see the modules entries in
> KControl but I cannot display them.
>
> Running KControl from Konsole I get:
>
> kdecore (KLibLoader): Loading the next library global with flag 257.
> kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libpython2.4.so: No file named
> libpython2.4.so found in paths.
>
> Pythonize constructor -- pid = 1363
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/kde3.5/share/apps/guidance/displayconfig.py", line 19,
> in ? from qt import *
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qt.so: undefined symbol:
> _Py_NoneStruct
> error: ***failed to import module
>
> Not sure what is wrong.

Looks like your PyQt is broken. Can you try to do "import qt" from a python
shell to confirm?

> The only conclusion I can make about Guidance:
> It seems that it'll be very difficult to install Guidance outside distro
> packages. It's true that I am not experimented in Python and KDE but I am
> disapointed to see that it's so difficult to install Guidance.

This can be solved by system integrators of course. Guidance has quite some
dependencies, and the pykde stack can be a PITA to set up, that's right. How
much fun it actually is depends on the distribution. I hope this settles a
bit once pykde is developed within kdesvn and follows its release schedules
(this would remove a great part of the testing that's currently needed).

--
sebas

Truth is hard to find and harder to obscure.