Moving guidance to extragear

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Wed Mar 21 19:00:59 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 20:01:11 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 05:37:19PM +0100, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Trying to install Guidance from kdereview, i run
> > ./setup.py install
> > as my user (is it necessary to be root when I have the rights to access
> > my KDE install dir?)
> > Anyway either as annma or as root I get the same error
> > [annma at laptop guidance]$ ./setup.py install
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "./setup.py", line 19, in ?
> >     import kdedistutils
> > ImportError: No module named kdedistutils
>
> As annma has discovered it needs pykdeextensions to compile, currently
> available on simonzone.org.  Should pykdeextensions be moved to
> kdesupport?

Yes I think it would be better.
I finally managed to build Guidance and I see the modules entries in KControl
but I cannot display them.

Running KControl from Konsole I get:

kdecore (KLibLoader): Loading the next library global with flag 257.
kdecore (KLibLoader): library=libpython2.4.so: No file named libpython2.4.so
found in paths.

Pythonize constructor -- pid = 1363
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/kde3.5/share/apps/guidance/displayconfig.py", line 19, in ?
    from qt import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/qt.so: undefined symbol:
_Py_NoneStruct
error: ***failed to import module

Not sure what is wrong.

The only conclusion I can make about Guidance:
It seems that it'll be very difficult to install Guidance outside distro
packages. It's true that I am not experimented in Python and KDE but I am
disapointed to see that it's so difficult to install Guidance.

I also could not find the doc in KHelpCenter.

Regards,

Anne-Marie