KConfigDialog

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 16:02:55 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 05:38:27PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 20, 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
Hi Aaron,

> there are two ways around this: keep a second KCS around populated with the
> original values and sync the two KCS's or track changes per-widget ... or, i
> suppose, the third option is to ignore the whole problem and keep the status
> quo.
A third way would be to do it like Kate does. If it detects that the
file has changed it pops up a dialog and asks whether the changed file
should be loaded into the editor.

So the user can choose between 'use _all_ changed content' and 'use my
changed content'.

IMHO this granularity is enough for KConfigDialog, so when the user
presses the 'Use changed config' button, the changed values from the
KConfigSkeleton are loaded into the GUI, otherwise if the user presses
the 'Keep my changes' button, the KConfigSkeleton is overwritten by the
values from the GUI.

The cases that the config is changed in the background should happen
really seldom, but when it happens the user should be informed about it.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!