KConfigDialog

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 23:38:27 GMT 2007

On March 20, 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 20.03.07 14:44:00, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Uhm, the item checks a newly set property value against the originally
> loaded value already. So that part works, unless I misunderstood you.

it gets the "originally loaded value" from the KConfigSkeleton (KCS). so if
the value changes in the KCS, we no longer know if the widget has the
old "orginally loaded value" or a value set by the user as both may now be
different from what is currently in the KCS.

there are two ways around this: keep a second KCS around populated with the
original values and sync the two KCS's or track changes per-widget ... or, i
suppose, the third option is to ignore the whole problem and keep the status
quo.

> > so ... looks like there is more work to be done there to make this work
> > as "naturally" as one would expect as a user.
> >
> > what is the use case(s) you have in mind where the non-updating nature of
> > the dialog is problematic?
>
> Well, in KDevelop4 we may need something similar. We currently have a
> settings dialog which also includes project-specific stuff. And we
> support multiple projects. Now the settings dialog is non-modal so a
> user could change the project and then the settings dialog should be
> updated with the values of the new project, possibly asking the user
> wether the current settings should be saved.

that's a much easier problem as one doesn't need to merge states: you save the
user's changes and load a whole new set of settings.

btw, i've dealt with both these issues in kicker as the user may select a
different panel to configure as well as change the configuration of the panel
while the dialog is open (e.g. by d'n'd'ing a panel to a new location)... =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se