Nepomuk-KDE core components in KDEReview

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Wed Mar 21 09:46:06 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 21:02:52 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Sebastian Trüg schrieb:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just moved the Nepomuk-KDE core components to the KDEReview svn. Please
> > have a look if you have the time since I'd like to get that stuff into
> > the kdelibs before the end of the month. ;)
>
> Ok, I tried to compile it on win32.
>
> - need qrdf which needs redland -> redland supports win32 binaries but
> not for mingw as it seems. Is librdf (afaics only librdf is needed) a
> pure C lib? This would reduce porting efforts

redland is pure C.

> - check for redland relies on the assumtion that there is a
> redland-config which is not available on win32. Also REDLAND_INCLUDE_DIR
> is not set anywhere

Will fix that.

> - qrdf needs KDE4 -> chicken - egg problem?

Ups, thanks for pointing that out. It only uses the KDE4 cmake stuff. I will
replace that with QT4.

> - cmake macro KMETADATA_GENERATE_FROM_ONTOLOGY does not work on win32 ->
> no resource.cpp for some nepomuk targets - maybe because of rcgen
> problems (see below)
>
> - FindSoprano.cmake does not honor CMakeCache.txt and therefore tells me
> that it could not find soparano include dir (but it's in the cache with
> correct values)

I will look into that.

> - kneprecore_export.h is wrong, fixed it
>
> - kneprecore shares some sources with knepomuk instead linking to
> knepomup -> not very good, needs a hack to fix exports on win32

The reason is that it needs stuff that is not part of knepomuk's public API. I
will see if I can fix that.

> - creation of rcgen is really really weird - why is this needed at all?
> cmake should be able to resolve the dependencies here, so you can just
> use add_executable()

The issue is that rcgen is needed during the cmake run of kmetadata to create
the sources. This was the only way I found to make it work. I would be happy
to use another, less weird, solution. But nobody could give me one so far.

> Do we really need this lib on win32 or can it be optional?

It can be optional and will even be on linux for now. Actually I am not that
sure anymore if it makes sense to force it into KDE 4.0 if it is optional
anyway. For now only Dolphin contains optional code using it for tagging,
rating, and commenting of files.
Later, maybe in KDE 4.1, I hope that it won't be optional anymore. It is
intended to provide a replacement for things like the Amarok collection.

Cheers,
Sebastian