KNewStuff2 merge

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 11:57:13 GMT 2007

Hi,

this is just a heads-up about the schedule of substituting knewstuff1 with its
successor [0].

We plan to restructure the directory in the branch today (Milest^WMonday SF-2,
two weeks before Subsystem Freeze), some discussion ahead in #kde4-devel, and
then implement the missing parts, mostly in the GUI area (not my area
anyway). I'm aware of a few apps which use the library and could look into
making the port easier, and even prepare patches to a few on my own.

The only monday which according to the release plan allows the substitution
itself is March 26 (aka SF-1). Looking into the output of calendar(1), this
is a date where some silicon valley guy and some composer guy died, certainly
we can give a more positive influence to it.
The interface will likely change afterwards until May 1 still.

One of the features currently blocked by a kio bug is the Desktop eXchange
Service (DXS), which would allow direct interaction with the repository.
It would be awesome if anybody could look into KIO::http_post and fix it (it
only posts once). Right now DXS uses its own protocol handler [1], which
isn't bad but requires an extra daemon running - which nobody likes to
maintain.

There are more issues found in Qt, I'll report them appropriately.

So far there has been a lot of input from the kdeedu people. If anyone else
has issues/wishes/needs data hosting, speak up now.

Josef

[0] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/knewstuff2/
[1] http://svn.kstuff.org/browser/trunk/hotstuff/dxs/