KActionCollection: it's a jungle

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 10:37:53 GMT 2007

Am Montag, 19. März 2007 10:50 schrieb Andreas Hartmetz:
> > > The current state of affairs is that it will be named
> > > "addOverlayCollection", because that describes the actual service this
> > > function offers.
> >
> > "Overlay" reads strange to me. Sounds like transparency stuff ;)
>
> Exactly! The new actions' shortcuts are put on top of the old ones, and the
> old ones show through where there are no new ones, i.e. where the new
> collection is "transparent" -> overlay the new actions over the old.
> Still strange?

The term "overlay" is used in portage (Gentoo package system) for a very
similar thing.  However, there it stands for the *overwriting* layer on top,
not for the one being overlayed.

Still, I would give it a +1, after all there will be some docs to make the
details clear, no?

The alternative would be addDocumentCollection - that would still be more
clear than addDocCollection which looked to me like sth. that has to do with
documentation (read: help-related actions).. ;-}

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS