KActionCollection: it's a jungle

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Mon Mar 19 07:27:06 GMT 2007

On Sunday 18 March 2007 10:16, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
<snip>
> Therefore, I propose to remove all of these:
>
> * addDocCollection
>  a)huh?, b) used in one case in KHelpCenter. Can't be that useful.

Discussed already in the thread.

> * setDefaultShortcutContext:
>  used three times, to set it to the default each time...
> * applyDefaultShortcutContext:
>  a)wtf?, b) unused
> * defaultShortcutContext:
>  then obsolete

These functions are to prevent having to loop over each action and change its
shortcut context, or to set each by hand when setting up your actions.  I
exposed them because they were needed by the internal api
(*AssociatedWidget*) and seemed to me like useful functions for 3rd party
code to access.

However I don't mind their being made private if you feel so moved.

> * forgetEnabled:
>  a)wtf?, b)unused.
> I'm unsure about setEnabled/isEnabled... it's hard to find them because the
> name occurs so often and I'm still investigating with a massive grep orgy.

I think I added these, sounded like a useful feature again to me.  They could
go, if you're happy to change all uses of them.  I don't see the need to
remove them, personally.

> * *AssociatedWidget(s):
>  why should a collection ever have this?

Already discussed, replaces KAccel functionality iirc.

Cheers,
Hamish.