Could kdecore depend on kjs?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 18:31:45 GMT 2007

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> I admit this may look like I'm trying to be nasty, but does this mean
> we should also try to make e.g. libidn a loadable dependency? I think
> the list above actually matches its case nicely as well.

No, we should drop it completely. The functionality we need is in QtCore
already, without an extra lib dependency.

> It'd be actually interesting if somebody compiled KDE without some of
> the less often needed dependencies and checked how big difference it
> makes. Using ldd on some binaries lists rather interesting things:
>
>ldd kreadconfig  (KDE4)
>        libutil.so.1 - WTH is this?

A system library. Probably used by KProcess and KPty, as it seems that the
only thing it does is related to PTY:

$ nm -D /lib/libutil.so.1| grep ' T '
000010d0 T forkpty
00000bc0 T login
00000d30 T login_tty
00000db0 T logout
00000e80 T logwtmp
00000f30 T openpty

>        libbz2.so.1 - huh?

kdecore dependency (KTar, I think). I wonder if it's still needed now that
we have strigi. Maybe pluginnable too.

>        libidn.so.11 - see above

To be nuked. See above.

I'll also drop the libresolv dependency. Instead of making it a plugin,
I'll simply dlopen and use the symbols I need (like KSSL and QSslSocket).

>        libXtst.so.6 - WTF?????
>        libX* - bloody tiny X libs

kdecore links to QtGui for now:
$ ldd libQtGui.so.4 | grep -c libX
10

David and I are working towards removing that dependency. There are two
things left: KConfigSkeleton and KProcess. The latter, as discussed
before, has to be reworked in terms of QProcess.

The KProcess stuff (here and above) probably requires the help from Ossi.

>        librt.so.1 - WTH is this?

RT for Real Time. It contains the asynchronous I/O, POSIX mqueues, SysV
shm and some other stuff I don't know. It's a QtCore dependency (maybe
it's the monotonic clock, I am not sure).

>ldd kwrite (KDE4)
>        libkdesu.so.5 - which KDE apps actually do need this?

Beats me.

>        libfam.so.0
>        libacl.so.1
>        libattr.so.1 - and these 3?

Those look like KIO dependencies. I can't really speak for it.

>        libQtSql.so.4 - SQL in KWrite?

Good question :-)

QtSql is loaded with KIO, but is not part of the library's direct
dependencies:
$ objdump -p libkio.so.5 | grep QtSql

Ah, of course:
      4486:     file=libQtSql.so.4 [0];  needed
by /home/thiago/obj/troll/qt-4.3/lib/libQt3Support.so.4 [0]

KIO is still linked to Qt3Support.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358