an additional requirement on kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 16:38:02 GMT 2007

On March 16, 2007, Brad Hards wrote:
> Each time I go to recompile kdelibs (or other random module), I get
> complaints about not having a recent enough strigi. I just want to get on
> with coding, and strigi isn't so core that a whole module should refuse to
> compile if it isn't available.

that would mean making classes in kdelibs conditionally compiled, or at least
all the code #ifdef'd out, and going around and making all the file previews
optional as well.

growing pains suck, and that's what strigi is going through right now, but it
seems like less work in the overall scheme of things if we just muscle
through it.

strigi does need to show some greater API discipline going forward, but as
long as this is temporary, it's worth it. search and indexing can and should
be a core part of the desktop. if we make it optional, we'll take a long time
(if ever) in getting there.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se