Could kdecore depend on kjs?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Mar 15 13:41:44 GMT 2007

> [: Lubos Lunak :]
> It was 'each extra library' and it gets the worse the more there are of
> them (so there's no relative overhead). You can add one more and not
> see anything wrong, but the same way you can add one a hundred times
> and suddenly see a problem.

Yes, the "relative overhead" is tricky here, so I don't insist on it. But,
~4ms overhead on a ~2001-level machine really doesn't look that great to
me (if the test as such is ok?) It won't suddenly get extra tons of
libraries...

> Will the German locale need this? Czech? Russian? Chinese? Arabic? If
> the answer to the first one is yes, don't bother and simply link against
> it, it will be loaded in the majority of cases anyway. If it's yes to
> the second and third, consider a plugin if it's not much work.

One thing is that it is upon the translators to employ the scripting or
not, depending on how much some things appear bad and ugly to them. So I
can only comment on needs.

For Chinese (which, by the way, I heard is much less complex in grammar
then Indo-European languages) and Arabic, I can't really say anything.

For Czech and Russian, they are in the same category as my own, Serbian, so
they would definitely benefit from scripting ("Otevřít pomocí
Konqueror*a*"?)

German, also sometimes, but I guess much less frequently.

Eg. there is this archetypal setup of KGeography, peppered by the likes of
"The capital of %1 is...". For Slavic languages, that's cases galore. My
limited knowledge of German also tells me that it's "die Vereinigte
Staaten", but "Die Hauptstadt *der* Vereinigte*n* Staaten ist..."

Can I link, can I link? :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)