[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 21:46:41 GMT 2007

On March 14, 2007, Richard Moore wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > I was discussing this with thiago earlier today. I thought we could
> > > do away with bic mondays after the 1 May freeze. But tronical and
> > > thiago thought otherwise.
> >
> > I did understood that after the 1 May freeze, the bic mondays will
> > automatically "disappear", as the librairy API would be frozen, or am I
> > missing something ?
>
> You can break the binary compatibility without breaking the API. In
> fact cleaning up BC issues (eg. moving stuff into the d pointer) will
> commonly do exactly that, but is essential in the long term.

yes, i don't think we should try and shoot for BC too early in the release
cycle; we can freeze the API but keep BC open. that alone will severaly limit
the number of BIC changes that come up =) freezing the API will at least
allow app developers to always be able to compile no matter what and get the
lib hackers out of "tinker mode" as someone put it.

having a final push before the API freeze would be nice, however, as there are
still areas that could use some attention. KIO and its pervasive use of bools
in methods comes to mind, for instance, and while i'd like to get to that
before the API freeze, it might not happen with only so many mondays to go =)

> How about starting the usability review period  on 8 May?

sounds good =)

> Starting in May, people should be concentrating on apps anyway, right?
> With the string freeze on 25 June, that gives us ~6weeks of usability
> review.
> Still seems like a short time.  Maybe we should add a couple weeks to
> the start of the beta cycle??

8 weeks would be -wonderful-, though we can probably work with 6 if need be.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se