[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 18:46:01 GMT 2007

On March 14, 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> > i've read suggested lists for this that are quite reasonable. with
> > such a list in hand we have something real to measure against.
>
> Where are those lists? Is there one that is backed by the release team?

no, which is why i didn't actually post one =)

the most sensible, to me anyways, suggestion i've seen went something like
this:

- libs ported from kde3 need to be functional without grave bugs (core, ui,
kio)
- new frameworks need to be functional and usable for app devel, though not
necessary as "complete" as the ported libs are required to be. this would
include solid, phonon, decibel, sonnect, threadweaver and, if it ever shows
up, liveui.
- artwork needs to be in place
- desktop workspace must be functional enough for daily use (desktop, panels,
window manager, control center, file manager, help center, browser...)

the latter will be a big effort, since we haven't even started yet on
discussing what to actually do with kcontrol. ugh.

but generally, i think the above is sensible, reasonable and deliverable.

applications above workspace are all "bonus", as thiago outlines well in his
reply. that said, we'll certainly have the okulars, kjots and ksnapshots of
the world essentially ready to go and looking better than they did in kde3 to
boot. but personally i'm quite hesitant to put any requirements on them at
this point.

the fact that the release schedule even says that module need to say whether
they will be following this release or not really says it all in that
category =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se