New class KListWidgetSearchLine

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 18:18:12 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 12 Març 2007, Benjamin Meyer va escriure:
> > On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:10, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Well, it's not a new class, it's just porting K3ListViewSearchLine to
> > > KListWidget so i can use it on KIconDialog that i ported from QIconView
> > > to KListWidget.
> > >
> > > I'm attaching the two files. I want to commit tomorrow as it's just a
> > > port from the old class and seems to be working quite good.
> > >
> > > Albert
> >
> > Hmm, well before it goes in we need two apps that use it,
> Does "lots of apps" count?
I agree with Albert, there is ample need for this.

Benjamin, kdelibs isn't bad competition for Qt, there's no need to shoot down
any suggestion for a widget in kdeui ;)

> > and autotests.
> You need autotests this?
Autotests never hurt, but it would be quite unfair to require it for gui stuff at this point,
we don't have many examples of gui unittests yet. I do request unittests for core stuff,
since those are easier to write, but for gui stuff we need more experience in that area
[btw being able to read TT's unit tests would help...]

> > But really I would think we would want to have a model and view
> > and just stick a sortfilterproxymodel on top which is simpler, and faster.
> Feel free to code it.
>
> > We could of course just make it an internal class of KIconDialog.
>
> So all the other programs using K3ListViewSearchLine have to code it
> internally too? Seems nice! errr, wait no.

Exactly. Qt might provide a solution, but for the average kde app the solution
should be a one liner. Not all kde code that needs a searchline is written with
model/proxy separation, so we do need a solution for the KListWidget case.

I really see no reason against Albert committing KListWidgetSearchLine to kdeui,
that's really a no-brainer imho.