Moving guidance to extragear

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 13:36:29 GMT 2007

We, the developers of guidance [g] would like to move guidance over to
extragear. Guidance is a set of system administration tools that integrate
into kcontrol. Guidance is written in python, using the python KDE bindings.
Distro-specific settings are abstracted into different classes, so it's
relatively easy to make guidance work on various systems.

Guidance is currently not ported to KDE4, this will be started as soon as the
Python KDE4 bindings become usable.

Guidance currently consists of the following:

- userconfig (stable)
- displayconfig (stable)
- serviceconfig (stable)
- mountconfig (stable)
- powermanager (stable)
- wineconfig (stable)
- grubconfig (in development)

Most of the tools (except powermanager: one release, and wineconfig and
grubconfig: not shipped yet) have been shipped for at least two releases with
the base install of Kubuntu, they are shipped by Debian as well. Other
parties showed interest in using the tools as well. There might be other
distros that use the tools that I'm currently not aware of.
Guidance is actively developed and maintained.

As to the SVN guidelines [s], here's more relevant information:

* There is user documentation in the form of a docbook
* There is developer documentation available in the form of sourcecode
  comments and inline documentation of the API (not sure how the doxygen stuff
  applies to python applications)
* The sourcecode has been checked with pychecker, no major issues have been
  found
* The applications have either been reviewed by the usability team or
  developed in close collaboration with them
* The applications are completely translatable

I've just moved guidance to kdereview, you can find the sourcecode at
svn+ssh://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdereview/guidance

Pending objections, I'll move guidance over to extragear/ in two weeks.

[g] http://www.simonzone.com/software/guidance
[s] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines
--
sebas

Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people
talk about people. (Dave Marinaccio)