make khtml/misc/decoder.* public

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Mar 5 14:48:25 GMT 2007

[ Christoph Cullmann, Mo., 5. Mär. 2007 13:32 ]
> > what? knows how? AFAIK we don't test it.

It happened several times to me that Kate converted all German umlauts in a
file to the same "invalid" character because I opened the file via Konqueror
with a middle click (rather than from the "File Open" dialogue, where I can
select an encoding). How could it convert the character to "invalid" without
knowing that the encoding was broken?

The file was accessed via ftp. It was valid HTML (before Kate broke it) and
contained the correct encoding information. Why should Quanta and Kate assume
all ftp and http servers to use my local utf-8 encoding, even though the file
itself informs about the correct encoding?

> We test ;) Since akademy ;) If you try to open a file as UTF-8 and Kate
> finds any char combination not possible in UTF-8, it will refuse to load it
> (or at least show error message). Handcrafted ugly code, I think in
> katebuffer....

OK, great!

Does it also allow to select the correct encoding (and maybe even suggest it)?

Olaf