kdirwatch vs qfilesystemwatcher

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Mar 3 01:22:59 GMT 2007

On 02.03.07 23:30:39, Marc Espie wrote:
> While updating the qt4 port for OpenBSD, I noticed the new kqueue support
> and activated it.
>
> Comparing it for kdirwatch, it is currently grossly inefficient on OpenBSD.
>
> I was wondering, what's the difference between kdirwatch and
> qfilesystemwatcher ? In newer qt4, it just looks like qfilesystemwatcher
> is doing mostly the same thing in a more efficient way across platforms.

Well, KDirWatch doesn't stop watching files/dirs after they are removed,
it only emits 1 signal for dirs or files regardless wether the file/dir
changed or is removed..

I hope that either of the two gets heavily extended, for example
stopping KDirWatch to watch a specific file (currently it only allows to
stop for a dir), watching a dir should emit signals when  a file is
created or removed with the filename/dirname not just a dirty signal and
the app has to somehow figure out which file/dir was added/removed.

Andreas

--
Your aim is high and to the right.