Strigi / CLuence on win32 (was: Re: KIO, gpgme)

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:00:17 GMT 2007

2007/3/2, Christian Ehrlicher <Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de>:
> Stephan Kulow schrieb:
> >> <snip>

> >> As soon as it's mandatory for kdelibs, I'll fix the decoration - no
> >> matter what others say about :)
> >>
> >> Do we really need also CLucence? Is it, at least, compilable on win32
> > Clucene is the framwork strigi is implemented in. Strictly speaking is strigi
> > part of the workspace and might not be interesting for most KDE apps running
> > on their own on windows.
> >
> > But it might be interesting in itself, but not necessary if it makes problems.
> > Then we should rather concentrate on some way to compile KDE without it.
> >
> What do you want to hear? It just makes the whole process of compiling
> kdelibs more complicated than it's already on win32.
>
> CLuence is compilable on win32 with msvc, but only as static version
> which is not acceptable due to various reasons.
>
> Strigi from current svn is not compilable (and it looks like it's also
> broken on linux). There seem to be some pieces of code which try to
> handle win32 but it simply can't work. We need at least kdewin32 to get
> some needed posix functions.
> Strigi is also only compilable as static version ...
>
> -> so either the maintainers of those two libs are accepting a lot of
> patches to get it work on win32 (in assumption that there are some
> people who try to get it work on win32 - currently I don't see someone)
> and / or kdelibs/win32 must be compilable without strigi.
>
> Apart from this I don't know how the maintainers of strigi/CLuence think
> about this...
>

> ---> moving this thread to k-c-d because we need a solution *before*
> strigi becomes a requirement for kdelibs

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Christian. Strigi and
CLucene should both be compilable on windows. I've not done this for
quite a while. Ben van Klinken (clucene maintainer) develops CLucene
mainly on a windows machine, so I'd be surprised if there are
insurmountable problems.

Saying that, Strigi as it is will be used for the moment, does not yet
require an index. Initially, the strigi libraries will be used to
extract data and metadata. Once the KFilePlugin classes have been
successfully ported to the Strigi analyzers, we will shift attention
to searching and then CLucene will be required because it is at the
moment clearly the best index. Also it has only a few depencies.

I hope to finish most of KFileMetaInfo over the weekend and send it to
the list for approval. This process is probably best done over the
next week. Nevertheless, I'd like to add "find_package(Strigi
REQUIRED)" to kdelibs/CMakeLists.txt this Monday, without actually
adding any code that requires it. This way, the number of issues
popping up at once would be smaller.

Cheers,
Jos