Strigi / CLuence on win32 (was: Re: KIO, gpgme)

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Mar 2 19:31:11 GMT 2007

Stephan Kulow schrieb:
> Am Freitag, 2. März 2007 18:45 schrieb Christian Ehrlicher:
>> Ralf Habacker schrieb:
>> <snip>

>>> a similar problem is with strigi, which is only compilable static
>>> because of missing decoration and it requires additional libraries
>>> (clusence), for which no prebuild binary packages are available. :-(
>> As soon as it's mandatory for kdelibs, I'll fix the decoration - no
>> matter what others say about :)
>>
>> Do we really need also CLucence? Is it, at least, compilable on win32
> Clucene is the framwork strigi is implemented in. Strictly speaking is strigi
> part of the workspace and might not be interesting for most KDE apps running
> on their own on windows.
>
> But it might be interesting in itself, but not necessary if it makes problems.
> Then we should rather concentrate on some way to compile KDE without it.

What do you want to hear? It just makes the whole process of compiling
kdelibs more complicated than it's already on win32.

CLuence is compilable on win32 with msvc, but only as static version
which is not acceptable due to various reasons.

Strigi from current svn is not compilable (and it looks like it's also
broken on linux). There seem to be some pieces of code which try to
handle win32 but it simply can't work. We need at least kdewin32 to get
some needed posix functions.
Strigi is also only compilable as static version ...

-> so either the maintainers of those two libs are accepting a lot of
patches to get it work on win32 (in assumption that there are some
people who try to get it work on win32 - currently I don't see someone)
and / or kdelibs/win32 must be compilable without strigi.

Apart from this I don't know how the maintainers of strigi/CLuence think
about this...

---> moving this thread to k-c-d because we need a solution *before*
strigi becomes a requirement for kdelibs

Christian