KConfig vs. QSettings (was Re: Porting problems with KMainWindow::readProperties())

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 1 20:25:32 GMT 2007

On March 1, 2007, Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> Hacking KConfig to add those features seems to me like a worthless
> duplication of effort, and considering that it was not designed with
> those things in mind makes me think that it's bound to be a suboptimal
> solution.

given all the additional features that kconfig provides and the large number
of fixes to your class that would be required to make it includable in
kdelibs, it would be an even greater duplication of effort (by many times) to
switch to your Settings. that's not even counting any porting.

> What hurts me is that it seems that you automatically thought that it
> wasn't worth the trouble to actually take a look at this alternative
> solution.

if it makes you feel any better, i looked at it as soon as i read your blog
posting about it. and i had the exact thoughts that the others in this thread
have expressed.

i didn't respond at that point because i really didn't see the need to dampen
your enthusiasm by suggesting that your classes were a major step backwards
in spite of the nice features it does have.

> No problem, though. I understand your point and I'll try to work on
> KConfig to add those missing features.

if you have any questions, please feel free to ping us on #kde4-devel =)
having more people paying attention to kconfig would be great.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se