RFC: problems with splitting up kdebase

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jun 27 16:42:04 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 6:58:00 pm Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 05:58, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > it was a sort of long term TODO for Beta1 to split up kdebase into
> > individual pieces, at least ripping out workspace so that non-X11 users do
> > not have to download/compile it. It also helps to straighten out our
> > dependencies and to make sure that no hard dependency is added for non-X11
> > platforms.
> > Also, IMHO it makes most sense if apps can use workspace as an optional
> > dependency. This means that workspace must be compiled before apps, and
> > workspace can not depend on apps (here is the kicker problem again).
> >
> > Comments, opinions?
>
> Just a comment:
> from kdelibs -> kdebase to
> kdelibs -> kdepimlibs -> kdepimslibs-gpl (?) -> kdebase-workspace ->
> kdebase-apps ?

Alex,

We have dumped the idea of a separate kdepimlibs-gpl module. FYI.
I know you always wanted kdepimlibs moved under kdelibs/pim,
and we are discussing that on #kde4-devel today.

But it seems that there aren't enough KDE main modules that are
dependent on the pim libs to warrant including them in kdelibs.

-Allen