RFC: problems with splitting up kdebase

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 10:58:40 BST 2007

Hi,

it was a sort of long term TODO for Beta1 to split up kdebase into individual
pieces, at least ripping out workspace so that non-X11 users do not have to
download/compile it. It also helps to straighten out our dependencies and to
make sure that no hard dependency is added for non-X11 platforms.

Right now, I'm in a state where this is almost possible, except for the
following problems:

a) apps/konqueror needs orc.kde.org.kdesktop.*.xml from workspace/kdesktop

b) various apps/* need workspace/kicker

b) workspace/kicker and workspace/kdesktop needs libkonq from apps/lib/konq

c) workspace/ksmserver needs runtime/solid in order to compile.

Unfortunately, kicker can't be disabled yet because it installs
plasma/kpanelapplet.h which is needed by many other modules.

IMHO it makes most sense for runtime to be separate (after all, it is runtime
and not compile-time) from the rest. solid however breaks that.

Also, IMHO it makes most sense if apps can use workspace as an optional
dependency. This means that workspace must be compiled before apps, and
workspace can not depend on apps (here is the kicker problem again).

Comments, opinions?

Thanks,
Dirk