A kdepimlibs-gpl module? (Was: KDE/kdepim/libkleo)

Charles Connell charles at connells.org
Mon Jun 25 00:43:15 BST 2007

> Status Update:
> The kleo library will not be relicensed to the LGPL.
> So, the kleo library will not be relocated to the kdepimlibs module.
>
> Several options are floating around now:
>  1. create a new kdepimlibs-gpl module for libkleo and a few other
>      useful libraries that must remain GPL for various reasons.
>  2. keep libkleo and its dependencies in kdepim and have
>      kopete (i.e. kdenetwork) depend on kdepim
>  3. move kopete into kdepim
>  4. ??
>
> This same issue affects mailody.  And we don't want two MUAs in kdepim.
> So, that basically eliminates #3 as a good solution.
>
> Option #2 also is ugly.
>
> Most people I've heard from are pushing for option #1.
>
> Comments?

Option one is good for me, I just don't want to destabilize things for
everybody else. I want to be clear that I don't need to do this, its just
something good in the long run. If it's hell for the PIM people to deal with
this, please just let me know and I'll wait a while to pursue. On the other
hand, I'd also be happy to help with moving all this code around, as it's my
work that necessitated this.

- Charles