Direction arrows.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jun 25 00:23:13 BST 2007

Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> (a little off topic)
>
> I have found that the icons used in Qt3 (amarok, kaffeine) look funky on RTL
> (right to left) desktops. Has anyone started thinking about a fix for that
> problem?
>
> For example, by definition the default play/next/prev icons should not reflect
> the desktop direction, which means even on RTL desktops, the order should be
> (always visually, from left to right)
> 	prev, play, pause stop, next

IIUC, on a media device, it should be the same as a physical device
which isn't laterally reverted just because you have a RTL language
script.  The buttons are based on the actual direction of tape (except
for micro cassettes which go backwards).

> Unfortunately application developers do not always remember this (or know
> this) and they use the default layout defined by the layout system of the
> toolkit. For example Qt3 will reverse the order of the buttons on my amarok.
>
> This shuold be in our HIG. Do we have a chapter about RTL lanaguages...?

I am aware of this issue and these two KDE3 icons: "previous" & "next"
shouldn't be interchanged for RTL language/locales.  Since these are not
the icons for a KDE Standard Action, this is an issue with individual
applications.  And yes, this should be in the HIG.

We have new icons: "find-next" and "find-previous" for KDE Standard
Actions in KDE4 that are interchanged and they shouldn't be.  I recently
posted issue this to the usability-devel list.

--
JRT