Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Rivo Laks rivolaks at hot.ee
Thu Jun 21 17:08:56 BST 2007

Ühel kenal päeval (neljapäev 21 juuni 2007) kirjutas Rex Dieter:
> Rivo, since an implementation of an icon cache already exists (gtk2), any
> interest in coordinating a common implementation?
>
> I ask selfishly, since I've been trying for ages to make icon handling
> "just work" for Fedora, but have been meeting with some resistance (ie,
> *every* icon-installing pkg currently must run/use gtk-update-icon-cache,
> which I think is utter silliness).  See also:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ScriptletSnippets/iconcache

I don't think what I'm working on would be compatible with the GTK
implementation.
GTK implementation seems to be about putting all of icontheme's icons into one
file and then mmapping it so the icons would be shared between apps (I might
be wrong though since I'm not that familiar with gtk's cache).
My implementation caches only icons which have actually been used, in a
compressed form. It's also not strictly icontheme specific, e.g. if oxygen
theme inherits hicolor theme then both icons will end up in one cache (not
sure how gtk cache handles it). Also, in addition to png images, it can cache
icons rendered from svg files.

BTW, is running gtk-update-icon-cache really that painful?

Rivo