Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Jun 21 13:37:42 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Stephan Kulow said:
>>>
>>> that's way too error prone. you don't really expect a random gnome theme
>>> developer to coply with this, do you? distributions would have to run

>> Yeah, you can be pretty sure they already do:
>>   http://www.gtk.org/api/2.6/gtk/gtk-update-icon-cache.html
>>
>>> post-install scripts when installing themes.
>> They already have. Thanks for worrying :)
>
> So says the icon theme spec:
>http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

Rivo, since an implementation of an icon cache already exists (gtk2), any
interest in coordinating a common implementation?

I ask selfishly, since I've been trying for ages to make icon handling "just
work" for Fedora, but have been meeting with some resistance (ie, *every*
icon-installing pkg currently must run/use gtk-update-icon-cache, which I
think is utter silliness).  See also:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/ScriptletSnippets/iconcache

-- Rex

-- Rex