Nepomuk rocks - Use case on Dolphin

Sebastian Trüg trueg at k3b.org
Thu Jun 21 11:49:57 BST 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 03:50:33 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I finally implemented locally the "sort by rating" here on Dolphin. It
> works really nice. If you add/remove stars from a file, you will need to
> press F5 to make it be updated on the view.
>
> Please take in count categories right now are only strings, so you will see
> something like "0 stars", "1 star", "2 stars".... but hey !! I'm gonna add
> own category drawing really really early (we would like to draw custom
> categories, for example if we sort by user, we probably would like to show
> at the left of the username the picture that identifies that user on the
> system). So, making those little things customizable.
>
> What you can note (that I also noted) is that sorting by rating is quite
> slow, since it needs to ask to nepomuk for each file for its rating when
> sorting. I would like to know how can this problem be faced, for improving
> speed and time.

The timing issue is related to the DBus calls that are used to read the data.
Previously I used to cache the information but removed that for two reasons:
it was buggy and it undermined the possibilities of RDF that we will have
soon (like property inheritance and stuff which are automatically handled by
the storage. Stupid example: if a superRating is derived from rating and you
ask for ratings you also get all the superRatings.)

I hope we can improve on the speed issue soon.