Nepomuk rocks - Use case on Dolphin

Peter Penz peter.penz at gmx.at
Thu Jun 21 06:45:02 BST 2007

Hi Rafael,

> I finally implemented locally the "sort by rating" here on Dolphin. It
> works really nice. If you add/remove stars from a file, you will
> need to press F5 to make it be updated on the view.

Thanks a lot. From the Dolphin point of view the patch is really nice. I hope David Faure can give a comment regarding KDirModel...

[...]
> What you can note (that I also noted) is that sorting by rating is quite
> slow, since it needs to ask to nepomuk for each file for its rating when
> sorting. I would like to know how can this problem be faced, for improving
> speed and time.

I have not tested your patch yet, but this might be a problem: typically the files from a music collection get rated, where the number of files can get quite large... So if we cannot improve the performance, we at least have to assure that the user gets a progress indication during loading/sorting. I'll take a look on this at the weekend.

Best regards,
Peter