Nepomuk rocks - Use case on Dolphin

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 02:50:33 BST 2007

Hey all,

I finally implemented locally the "sort by rating" here on Dolphin. It works
really nice. If you add/remove stars from a file, you will need to press F5
to make it be updated on the view.

Please take in count categories right now are only strings, so you will see
something like "0 stars", "1 star", "2 stars".... but hey !! I'm gonna add
own category drawing really really early (we would like to draw custom
categories, for example if we sort by user, we probably would like to show
at the left of the username the picture that identifies that user on the
system). So, making those little things customizable.

What you can note (that I also noted) is that sorting by rating is quite
slow, since it needs to ask to nepomuk for each file for its rating when
sorting. I would like to know how can this problem be faced, for improving
speed and time.

You can find the patches for kdelibs and kdebase/apps/dolphin at:

http://media.ereslibre.es/2007/06/kdelibs-21062007.diff
http://media.ereslibre.es/2007/06/dolphin-21062007.diff

Please, tell me what you think if you take a look applying those patches :)

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.