replacing kcontrol with system settings

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 18:20:10 BST 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [ Benjamin Meyer, So., 17. Jun. 2007 ]
>
> > Please go and read my e-mails again.  I didn't suggested removing it
> > completely, but that it should be turned it into its own
> > application.
>
> OK, thanks for the clarification. And as I said: I am OK with this
> approach, if the usability team is fine with it.

I would still like to see the accessibility-specific settings in
systemsettings. What about providing the four high contrast schemes in
section "Accessibility"? I think when visually impaired people probe KDE,
they'll rather look for high contrast settings in systemsettings than
searching in an extra application. the appearance modules arent a full
subsitute for the high contrast themes.

> Are there any other modules that need to be addressed separately if
> kcontrol is dropped?
>
> > It is a lot more then just a a simple frontend to a
> > settings file, it could let you download, install, configure, create,
> > modify and share themes.  The theme manager just sticks out like a
> > sore thumb and doesn't fit with the rest of the dialog which are for
> > the most part little more then front ends to config dialogs.
>
> Yes, that mostly makes sense to me. I still wonder why we can't have this
> improved theme manager within system settings (instead of the other
> separate modules), but my area of expertise is accessibility, not
> usability, so I'll let Ellen comment on it.

Benjamin, are you actually planning to work on this soon? I'm two-fold: I
think the current appearance modules are pretty complex, but at the same time
i don't think the theme module should be the major appearance module. If you
got time to work on it, we could sit down together and think how to improve
it.

/el

--
Ellen Reitmayr