Properly use #include <> and #include ''

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jun 18 11:40:20 BST 2007

Michael Olbrich said:
> The main question is: Is this a real life example? As far as I can tell
> KDE3 uses a mixture of both versions. I have yet to find a real case
> that matches your example.
> On the other hand there are regular postings on the kde mailing list
> from people who don't recognize that their compile errors are caused by
> conflicting kde versions in the search path.

Having two different versions of the same library in the search path is
very likely to lead to problems sooner or later. The proper solution is to
simply not have them both.

This applies to headers as well as .so files.

In any case, in your example, using "" for relative file locations is
actually better in case of multiple versions, because it would find the
same version of the include headers.

But I don't think we should try and fix those cases. This will only make
the remaining cases of this problem more obscure to find. Let them show up
easily and frequently so that people can properly fix their systems.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358