Semantic tags for i18n, official proposal

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sun Jun 17 15:26:54 BST 2007

I have almost fully implemented the semantic markup for use in i18n
messages, the KUIT (KDE UI Text), and it stands ready to commit. As base for
comments, here is the article on Techbase:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n_Semantics

Any thoughts and proposals for modifications from the programmers,
translators, and usability people (in alphabetic order :) are welcomed. The
topic has already been somewhat discussed on kde-i18n-doc, kde-core-devel,
and kde-usability, but I don't want to send you off to those threads, better
to start fresh from the given proposal.

Some questions past the obvious:

What should the tag names look like? I've based them loosely on the Docbook,
but they are not the Docbook. Especially I wanted to avoid any similarity
with HTML, both for technical reasons (for the parser to differ them if
combined) and for distinctiveness to programmers and translators.

What other text modifications can you think of (like native separators in
filepaths, or shortcut key separators)?

What should be the policy of using KUIT for new applications? Advise it
strongly, just would-be-nice, or at-your-discretion?

What should be the policy of using KUIT in existing applications? Encourage
programmers to update the messages as they see fit? To only to use KUIT in
new messages and those which are changed due to some other reason? Or not to
use it all?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)