replacing kcontrol with system settings

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Sat Jun 16 23:49:56 BST 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 11:57 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> 2. System settings shows only a partial list of the modules
>> (e.g. the theme manager is missing, which is needed for
>> accessibility)
>
> Arguably the theme manager should be a separate application, but I'm
> happy to include it along with a few changes (removing the links to
> other control modules).

Hmm, I see no reason for it to be include and would not make me happy
if you included it.  It should be a separate application.  It was not
included in system settings for a good reason and you don't need to
include it because one person noticed it wasn't there and brought it
up, a handful of modules are not there and they were removed for good
reasons.   Does it make any sense to have a background module and a
theme module that lets you change the background?

You do one of the following:
  - Configure the background/screensaver etc separately and
externally have an application that can download themes install and
configure them.
  - Only have the theme manager integrated in kcontrol as the one
method to configure backgrounds etc.
  - Have both the separate modules and the theme manager in kcontrol

Putting them both in kcontrol is (and was) just stupid.  It just begs
the user question: "Which is the right way to configure my
background?"  How would we document that action?

-Benjamin Meyer