replacing kcontrol with system settings

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Fri Jun 15 12:23:25 BST 2007

On 6/15/07, Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek at lichota.net> wrote:

> Ellen Reitmayr napisaƂ(a):
> > On Thursday 14 June 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >> And after years of claiming that
> >> having ordinary and advanced buttons wasn't a solution, that's just
> what
> >> system settings provides.
> >
> > unlike kcontrol, systemsettings wants to guide the user to set up the
> most
> > important parts of the work environment.  that's the information given
> on the
> > first tab. to make systemsettings be a real alternative for kcontrol, we
> > still had to provide the more advanced settings.
>
> My main problem with system settings (and the reason I am using kcontrol
> not systemsettings) is that it does not provide easy to use search
> function.
>
> In kcontrol, I am not using tree view at all - i just type keyword (for
> example "font" if I am looking for font installation module) and I see
> all matching terms, select the term and I can go to the proper kcontrol
> module right after that.
>
> In system settings I can type "font" in search, but:
> 1. I do not get search terms, so I cannot differentiate between changing
> fonts or font installer.
> 2. I get 1 result in General and 1 in in Advanced. Now - how am I
> supposed to know if font installer is in General or in Advanced? I have
> to go to each matching icon, click it, check if it is there, click back,
> etc.
> 3. Marking modules with matching terms by greying out other modules does
> not really work for color-blind people. For others is also not
> convenient, I would prefer to see only sections and items which are
> matching.
>
> IMO systemsettings search should be changed to work as in kcontrol -
> type some text to see matching terms, click on term to see matching
> modules (probably with sections delimeters for clarity). And matching
> modules from General and Advanced Tab should be on one page, so that I
> do not have to switch to other tab to see its results.

The matching search term stuff, I never understood that. I think it's
useless, doesn't add anything, and I don't understand why Kcontrol added it
in the first place. I agree SystemSettings should only show matching
modules, but no search terms or anything...

And I also think when searching, the distinction between advanced and normal
should be removed. If you have 1 result in the normal tab, and 1 in
advanced, it'd be totally silly to still have those two tabs. Just merge
them when searching.

If the search function is fixed I think it might be useful replacement