replacing kcontrol with system settings

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Fri Jun 15 12:18:41 BST 2007

Ellen Reitmayr napisaƂ(a):
> On Thursday 14 June 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> And after years of claiming that
>> having ordinary and advanced buttons wasn't a solution, that's just what
>> system settings provides.
>
> unlike kcontrol, systemsettings wants to guide the user to set up the most
> important parts of the work environment.  that's the information given on the
> first tab. to make systemsettings be a real alternative for kcontrol, we
> still had to provide the more advanced settings.

My main problem with system settings (and the reason I am using kcontrol
not systemsettings) is that it does not provide easy to use search
function.

In kcontrol, I am not using tree view at all - i just type keyword (for
example "font" if I am looking for font installation module) and I see
all matching terms, select the term and I can go to the proper kcontrol
module right after that.

In system settings I can type "font" in search, but:
1. I do not get search terms, so I cannot differentiate between changing
fonts or font installer.
2. I get 1 result in General and 1 in in Advanced. Now - how am I
supposed to know if font installer is in General or in Advanced? I have
to go to each matching icon, click it, check if it is there, click back,
etc.
3. Marking modules with matching terms by greying out other modules does
not really work for color-blind people. For others is also not
convenient, I would prefer to see only sections and items which are
matching.

IMO systemsettings search should be changed to work as in kcontrol -
type some text to see matching terms, click on term to see matching
modules (probably with sections delimeters for clarity). And matching
modules from General and Advanced Tab should be on one page, so that I
do not have to switch to other tab to see its results.

If the search function is fixed I think it might be useful replacement
for kcontrol :)

Just my 2c.

	Krzysztof Lichota