replacing kcontrol with system settings

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Fri Jun 15 09:09:20 BST 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 01:35:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 14 June 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> > >  It's a simple carbon-copy of OS X
> > > preferences app -- without the only really useful bit of the origial,
> > > the
>
> to be fair, the way the search is done is also a nice touch, also borrowed
> from OS X's panels.
>
> > > feature where you can drag often used control panel icons onto a bar.
> >
> > What in the System Settings dialog is used frequently enough that it
> > is useful to have on the panel?
>
> not -the- panel, but a "toolbar" at the top of the system settings window
> itself, so you can put stuff you go to a lot up there for later use. it's a
> minor feature, but fairly useful for those who use it.

I've installed kubuntu recently, but since I always use Alt-F2 to bring up
kcontrol, I'd not even noticed this.

However, is a separate settings application really useful, given that we have
the settings:/ kioslave, that konqueror is going to have an enhanced listview
and that we are going to have extensive search functionality in KDE?

Improved search/categorization views could be useful for more than settings --
for example, one could show applications based on what mimetype they handle,
or based on relevant keywords.

So, if the proper views and ioslaves were in place, the settings .desktop
entry could simply do a "konqueror settings:/".

Luciano